Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stake Project

This is a project I've been working on for the last 2-3 months. The theme of our stake relief society women's conference was "Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful". I had a committee of 5 in the end and we decided on a mirror decor theme, but wanted a few "different" types of centerpieces.

Now, remember, we were using church money and trying to spend as little as possible by borrowing or re-using goods from friends or previous activities. For starters, the table cloth linings were found in the stake relief society closet, not the prettiest, but good enough for this event.

We managed to scrounge up 6 candlesticks for these mirror topiaries I has envisioned. After putting one together with rhinestones one night, Landon laughed and said it wasn't going to work, not that I asked for his opinion. So I resorted to these paper flower topiaries since I was already making some for Kiki's All About Easter Event, then threw it on a mirror base to make it work for our theme.

We also rounded up 24+ frames that I cut mirrors for then hung wreaths from(made by one of the committee members).


Not sure why I took a picture of the crooked candle vase, but here it is, I used a shiny silver material to rest the candle in and rhinestones around the candle (hot glued to ribbon, then to the candle) for a reflective accent.


And last we found 6 square glass vases, wrapped some reflective cellophane around (for the mirror look) and threw in some flowers.
In addition to the centerpieces we had a couple of LARGE mirrors in the chapel and foyer also with large hanging wreaths and made 225 mirrors with a scripture theme written on top as a handout for each of the sisters that attended. I was beyond nervous for how it was all going to come together (real flowers, fake flowers, paper flowers, cellophane, ya know?!). But it was okay in the end, I was more concerned with trying not to spend too much!

2 comments:

cheeks said...

flying by....or walking by :) i think it all came together nicely!!! i really like the framed mirrors/wreaths!

The Hagberg Family said...

That was so ugly!!! Whatever, you made it sound atrocious. Kara doesn't do ugly!!